Burren Free Range Pork
On their farm since 2007, Eva and Stephen Hegarty, have a small herd of free range, rare breed, Saddleback and Tamworth pigs. The pigs are reared in a great environment with extensive fields to roam and root in and a comfortable, warm shed for shelter when weather conditions are wet and cold as they sometimes are in Ireland!
A local cheese maker supplies whey, the pigs love it and its a great source of protein! In addition to the grass and roots that they find themselves in the fields they are also fed a lot of fruit and vegetables as well as a nutritious compound. As the pigs are very healthy, so far they have never been subject to any sort of medication. Happy pigs produce delicious meat!
You can purchase Burren Free Range Pork meats at their stall at the farmer’s markets in Ennis and Ennistymon or visit their farm by appointment.
- Sausages: The most popular 82% meat content sausage in packs of either 6 jumbos or 12 ordinary size, very meaty and rich in flavour, perfect for your breakfast, dinner or BBQ.
- Rashers: Back bacon or streaky rashers with a free range duck egg is a breakfast to die for, or an outstanding ingredient in a pasta dish for example Roasts: Shoulder or gigot joints, all have the rind on that will give you the most mouth watering crackling when roasted, also heavenly good as pulled pork
- Mince: In packs of 500 g or 1 kg makes the most delicious and juicy meatballs for example when mixed with a little bit of beef mince
- Chops: Succulent and juicy chops pan fried or roasted in the oven are an easy dinner option ready in just a few minutes
- Belly: The rind is left on it, so if you are a lover of crackling, score the rind then slow cook it – you’ll have the perfect joint for roasting and your dinner guests will ask for the recipe!
- Ribs: The ultimate comfort food, just a bit of salt and pepper and in they go, until the divine smell from the oven starts calling you – finger licking good!
- Ham: An all year favourite but make sure you get your order in for Christmas in time as we usually sell out early!
Home made condiments, made from our home grown vegetables to accompany the meats include:
- Onion jam
- Chilli Jam
- Courgette Relish
- Home-made Ketchup
- BBQ sauce for pulled pork
Seasonal surplus vegetables from our kitchen garden or poly-tunnel and free range hen and duck eggs are also for sale.